Sunday, April 6, 2014

Quotes Kliewer Special Education


To begin this week’s post I must apologize for it being so late; it’s just been one of those weeks! But I really want to start by saying how much I loved this article and how impactful it was for me to read. The students and teachers in the observations were so inspiring and rare; a few times throughout my read I couldn’t help but praise these people. The teachers are so awesome and skilled at what they do, and it’s great to know that there are people in the world like them. So this week I decided to post a few quotes out of the many that I found to be intriguing and thought provoking.

Quote 1: “Community acceptance requires opportunity for individual participation in the group, but opportunity cannot exist outside of community acceptance.” (pg. 75)
            This statement caught my eye because it states a reciprocity that many people, including me, do not necessarily attribute to a classroom setting. This “human reciprocity” that the teacher refers to is a pivotal point in the success of human interaction and is more difficult to attain between people with disabilities. The children in the room, whether they are said to have a disability or not, must accept another child for what they’re worth and only then will they all have an opportunity to give back in a positive way to their own community within the classroom.

Quote 2: “’So what…if you don’t fit exactly what you’re supposed to? You know, it’s not like I fit many people’s idea of what a teacher’s supposed to be like.’” (pg. 77)
            This was by far one of my two favorite parts of the whole reading. When the teacher from Shoshone said this, I couldn’t help but think -- you go girl!! She knows that her students do not fit the molds that others try to put them into, and she is more than okay with this. She appreciates, accepts, and loves her students for who they are and what they contribute to the classroom on a daily basis. She knows how to trigger learning for each individual child in ways that best suit them, which is more work than a run-of-the-mill teacher would dream to take on. She does not fit the idea of what a teacher is supposed to be like because she is someone nobody ever thought could exist! Needless to say, she’s basically a role model for me.


 


Quote 3: “Instead, she saw incompetence as a perception ascribed to a child by others who misunderstood the meaning of the child’s performance.” (pg. 83)
            Again, Shayne Robbins goes above and beyond. She can understand how a child learns and works differently without categorizing them as incapable. Many psychologists and medical professionals would say that children with disabilities are worse off than they truly are just because they, once again, did not fit a certain mold. This teacher can recognize that just because a child arrives at a solution to any issue at hand differently, that as long as they are contributing something valuable to their environment, then they are worthwhile….something everybody should realize when interacting with others…

Quote 4:“It’s not Lee you’re picking out. It’s your stereotype, your mind-set. It’s you, and it has nothing to do with Lee. But if that’s how you choose to see him, I don’t know that anything I could do, we could do, I don’t think there’s anything Lee could do to change your mind.” (pg. 84)
            This was part two of my favorite parts to the reading. The teacher working with Lee, a second grader with Down syndrome could not have said this any better. She was talking about how if you looked at all the children in the classroom and were told to pick out the one with the disability, you would not pick out Lee right away. You would, however, pick him out based on your preconceived stereotypes of people with Down syndrome. His facial features and body language give away his disability, but his capabilities and contributions make him more normal than ever. This quote hit me hard and made me think of all the times I may have stereotyped others as incapable, and how many times I was wrong for doing so.

Here are some links to resources and advocates for children with special needs!





No comments:

Post a Comment